This story is covering main stream U.S. news everywhere, especially today as the two released American journalists landed in Burbank California this morning. The heart-wrenching arrival of the two women was broadcast over U.S. networks. I watched it on CNN, and I couldn't believe that they were brave enough to walk out of the plane to say hello to their families once again with millions watching. These are two remarkably brave women. Lee said that just 30-hours ago at the time they were in prison, expecting to serve a 12-year sentence at a labor camp, which in some conditions, death is inevitable, all this for crossing a river from China to North Korea to tell a story of human rights violations. Of course North Korea being North Korea labeled them as "criminals", because how does that look if North Korea is ethically challenged? Like the rest of the world didn't know that already. I mean the leader claims to have some record number of "Hole-in ones" in golf. Right Kim Jon Ill. Keep telling yourself that.
If I could in real person I would sincerely thank the two journalists for risking their careers, reputations, and lives to tell a story they were passionate about. That takes more courage than most journalists have--to venture into a totalitarian state.
I have also done research on the North Korean news agency and how they portrayed the trial of Ling and Lee in their very restrictive media. They only described that the American journalists violated human rights, and were criminals because of illegal actions,with the intent of sharing their gained information. The two were filming a documentary. The Korean Central News Agency of DPRK is one of the most noteable cases of gate-keeping. The media is 100% controlled by the government, there is no objectivity, and the citizens of North Korea are being blinded to the truth. I believe that the recent clemency of the two journalists is a step in a progressive direction. But right now it is hard to say why they did this. Is North Korea trying to keep peace, or are they playing good and evil? The prevailing weeks will only tell. (Insert Kim Jon Ill's evil sneer here)
- ChelseaWhitton
- Hello my name is Chelsea, but you can call me Chels or Chach. If my name was Candy, I would be Candy Kane. Fresh and sweet. Anyhow, I graduated from college at UMass Amherst in May, knowing a little bit about myself, but knowing I wanted to learn a lot more about what I'm meant to be doing with my life. Since then I've figured out quite a bit. Living here in Jamaica Plain on my own, learning about life, what it takes to make it on my own, and balancing work, friends and family has all been a great experience. Maybe I am a grown-up? It is almost Spring. Its a reawakening. I am reawakening.
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment