Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I am indeed allergic to Kittens

Warning: Longest Post Ever. My apologies...lots to think about.

Today was the kind of fresh start I have been looking for a while. First of all there was sun. There was a new--old bike. Very old, but new to me haha. There was the obnoxious sweating as I went to class...all three of them. But I am signing up for more, incase your interested I'm taking Broadcast Journalism...teacher is an anchor on ABC Springfield, so I'm assuming the guy is good, International Relations, Media Criticism, and World Politics. I'm debating whether I want to tack on American Journalism, but I think I only want to take four classes, because I'm on track, and I am working Mondays at a coffee shop, and copy editing, and Wednesdays. I'm doing Umass Outing Club and Navigators, so I'm busy. But today was a great start, busy but good.

My bed was like uber low, and I needed to put the dresser thing they give us underneath so I had some guys help me, which is good because all of my stuff is unpacked, and organized. I can't stand being unorganized. Tomorrow I don't have class until 4 so instead of lounging around all day and doing nothing I'm going to take a beautiful bike ride on the Norwottuck to Norhhhampton, I did it..well walked it...last semester, and its so peaceful and fun. Then I'm going to International Relations at 4. This is a great transition back to the life I love.

But today awakened my mind from its summer hiatus, thank gad, and things kindof got a little stirred up, and I of course was worrying, about my future career, why I'm putting myself in school, why why why why, to so many things. Why does one of my teachers look like Santa Clause? Just kidding that doesn't really matter, but I got to thinking about what is Chelsea Whitton going to be? I am recently extremely interested in television production, which spawns the thought--comedy such as Jimmy Fallon, or SNL, or National Geographic? I am a political science minor, and I find it extremely complicated to learn things when I am so tilted to the left, same with journalism. Its hard, I've got to open my mind a bit. But I'm pretty sure I smiled the entire day.

At our floor meeting the RA'
s went around and told us to tell the general stuff and then give our "signature move". On the spot I came up with the very appropriate...are you ready?...."The Leperchaun" and I sort of did this quick 2 second jig, weird, but yes they wanted to see who I was...not scared of it.

Any how I need fruit, Umass really doesn't have an abundance of good fruit. I might just be a bit homesick--I don't know how, neither do you.

I really don't know who you is. But thats okay. I also feel strange being a junior living on campus. Its weird, it happened that way because I thought I would be studying abroad in the Spring and in that event I would not be able to get an apartment. So here I am in Baker, loving it, but I'll be here all year, because my passion to go to Spain, and meet some hot Spanish man, and never return, kind of faded away. I guess I'll keep my roots in the U.S. until Dick Cheney becomes president or something. Which I heard he might run...over my dead body...right. See I am into politics. This world offers too much.

Today while sitting in the sun I just sort of needed to write down what was going through my mind at the very moment, its helpful and insightful. While other students are worried about what party and how shit faced they are getting that night, I am worrying about my future(something indeterminable), and other things. I certainly don't need to go out partying to find fulfillment. Trust me kids...its fun until you wake up on a floor. Kind of like the Ringo Starr song "No No No No I don't drink it no more, I'm tired of waking up on the floor, no no no please it only makes me sneeze then it makes it hard to find a door." So here I am still searching, still persevering, and still not losing sight of who I am, and what this life means to me. Maybe I was supposed to be a philosopher or something, but no one gives a shit about Aristotle these days. haha. I wrote this...

" I'm not sure why I chose a major that has impossible limits, and dying openings, and changing times, but starting out is very hard. There are endless opportunities in writing, producing, television series, magazine, editorial, broadcast reporting, anchoring, behind-the-scenes (wont work I love the spotlight), research, public relations, online news. SO to the Professors don't stand there with your 40 year career and tell me that Journalism is dying. Where are people going to receive their stories, about our vast and ever changing world? How are people who don't have voices going to be heard, if the BBC and New York Times doesn't deliver papers every morning to millios of adoring readers. Journalists are effective communicators on a global scale, and yes they are all biased. I would be lying if I said that on a bias scale I was a zero, because it is pretty hard to write something and not describe Sarah Palin as a "whimsical alaskan do-it-all Mom" for example. News is widescale yet personal, prompt yet subtle as it is happening all around us. My point is that the opportunities are endless. Everyday you go to work and there is a new story to be told. If you screw it up, well guess what, there will be another one waiting for you the next day, and a bunch of colleges who appreciate you because you give a damn about something and have passion. One thing I am working on is focusing on passion--what is it that makes me tick? The good thing is I'm beginning to be able to answer these. I know the world isn't about everybody else, but I really do need to stop thinking so endlessly and wasting time. So I guess the key to sucess is number 1. Love who you are and use it to your worth, because if your hilarious and can't be funny in front of new people, than its just unseen. Number 2. Be passionate--about something good. Number 3. Never forget God is rooting for you. Even if rooting for you means everything electrical breaking on you, and you having a room the size of a jail cell, I mean Jesus traveled as part of his living, and his life was one of the most famous ones in the history of humans. Number 4. Don't let anyone, anything prevent you from becoming who you are. In my case don't listen to the Journ professors saying 'I don't envy your position.' Do they realize one day they will be gone, and there will be the need for new faces, new stories? We are in a media revolution, meaning at some point it will end."

Sometimes I wish things were as simple as Hello My name is_____. I like _____. I hate_____. Monkeys are cool. Politics are bad.



As for me my personal life is drama free and kickass and I love my friends. My hopelessness for any sort of relationship prevails. haha.

Today my day was...wake up with miracle txt by India, because lets be honest I would have slept the whole day. Then off to get chai, and to my three classes today, which went from 11:15-5. Then off to Navs. And back to move stuff around. This is the start of a very great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment