
So if there is one thing you might know about me you might say I have a love affair with Conan O'Brien. And this isn't a recent revelation mind you. I've been watching this man's show from the time I was ten until now, alas making it the past ten years. I remember it vividly, channel 44, MSNBC would replay the prior nights episode the next day at 5 p.m. I would often rush to the television in my room and catch the monologue before family dinner (strange to think we all sat down around the table for dinner way back then), but it was the comedic highlight for a while of my life. He inadvertently taught me that it was okay to be a questionable list of things and somehow pull it off, un-proportionately lanky and tall, eccentric, strange, quirky, so pale as if to never see the sun, literary, a nerd and jock, guitar playing, freckled with bright as bright can be--red hair. You see its not like I planned it this way, for me to become the epitome of Conan O'Brien or some other real life effigy.
Back to the point. With the whole late-night schedule situation all I can say is 1. I saw this coming, NBC execs need to get their bald capitalistic heads out of their asses. 2. Love the man, but Jimmy Fallon on Late Night was doomed to ruin the run it had for Conan's 16 years. Doomed. The man runs through the monologue and plays game-shows as the pre-interview segements. Honestly, Late Night shows require the best of the best script writers, the most outlandish humor and Fallon isn't bringing it. Which brings me to my next point--Why is no one questioning Fallon, its questioning Leno and O'Brien. Another clear fact, 3. Leno is not funny. Monday night headlines are funny, because it doesn't require the staff to write the jokes and skits. NBC putting Leno back onto the 11:35 p.m. time slot is absurd and fiscally reckless. They're wasting money contracted to O'Brien (who could be doing a good job) and screwing the show's ratings even more by replacing the show (again) with Leno.
I'd like to say I'm an insider, as I live for the camera writing and production and all that jazz--I'm not. I'm just someone watching a Late-Night revolution. But this isn't the world. The world isn't quick punchlines, and skits making fun of politicians and disregarded d-list celebrities, it is real and sometimes not so easy. The reason I appreciate the Tonight Show so much is because of its ability to portray this time at 11:35 as an escape, as something purely comedic for an hour of my day. Its sad to see one of my heroes leave, who knows what is next. I sit here with my black "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" t-shirt on completely saddened by the news. At least I still have my "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" mug (which suited him so much better.)

No comments:
Post a Comment