Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Put that in Your Pipe and Smoke it"

So today was a good day because it made me realize, for all the hours or work, or for all the clothes you buy nothing makes you feel more accomplished than sitting back and enjoying quality time with family. I have three great-grandparents that are living, and today I had the chance to spend time with two of them. They are lovely, and so adorable. Molly and I (the comedians of the group) laughed for atleast ten minutes today, when my four year old cousin walked up to Great Grandpa McInerny shook his hand and said, "You Look Old." Of course grandpa didn't hear it. We all celebrated my Nana's 66. Times like these just let me leave all apprehensions at the door, because inside the small house is a group of beautiful people who take you exactly as you are. It just makes me feel so loved. Who wouldn't like that? When my nana said, "Gangsta" with the Auburn accent today I pretty much lost it. I wrote this exerpt below about my gradnparentsand I just want to share it because they are such are beautiful part of my life.


There's Smokey

Bring back the days
Of knees scraped by rocks
That we laughed at for hours

Of Harmonicas and bazookas
Carried in the dark night’s silence
Brushing by black bears path’s
With elders scared as we

Bring back the nights
Of voices carried by fire
That fueled in our content
As the thunder crossed
The rolling mountains

Bring back the memories
Of young small legs
Peddling on old rail road trails
That went no where
And brought us no where
Except for alongside a river

Show us how we used to be
Smiles un-empty
Arms on shoulders
Consumed by tales
And unstoppable laughter

Till Dad slips out of his chair
Bring back the moments
We joined
As the box painted turtle
Took his time

Bring back those moments
Of life gone by
To laugh once more
To hear the sweet harmonica
Call our names
In the middle of the mountains


I'm just at a very relective point of my life right now. Its kindof strange. But days like today reassure me that I am quite happy with everything. My 90 something year old great grandfather said to, "Put that in your Pipe and smoke it." Damn straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment