
Wendy Wahl's Uncovered Grove
Today was a snowy cold mundane New England day, though this year we aren't acclimated to normal winter weather as this winter has presented itself as a 'dud.'
My head aches for some indeterminable reason, but stops aching when I think of me and my sister's plans for spring break. Should be good if we can get it together.
In some cloud floating throughout my day and feeling complacent in my hour and a half break between classes I decided to venture to the campus art gallery. Last semester they had a fantastic exhibit I was never able to get to. But today was the perfect day to go. I wish I had before now.
The exhibit feels like your entering the inner workings of a clean space of your mind--or atleast I'd like to think so. It was an exhibit on sustainability in the valley. The architecture of built buildings and homes and homes and buildings to be built is impeccable. Down to the millimeter models of state-of-the art designs kept my eyes attention. Clean and efficient would describe this gallery.
If I could design an environmentally friendly house it would be clean lines with cherry wood frames and floors, whimsical staircases and an open air friendly floor plan. The palette would be light hues of blue and green, though the dining room would be decadent with a vintage chandelier and deep red walls and a grand piano and various instruments on the walls. Also to express my emphasis on writing and reading I would have a reading nook painted yellow and wallpapered sporatically with my favorite news articles and headlines.
Okay. Stop. I'm dreaming. But I've always loved design and aesthetics, especially efficient usage of space.
My future house will surely have all which I've described, most importantly the newspaper nook which is sure to come with an espresso machine.
But today I was just happy strolling about the winter weather. My hair was so curly--ahrgh! I never wear it like that, a rare occasion indeed.
But anyhow the exhibit was so calming. I watched their short documentary three times where its tranquility almost put me to sleep. The gallery space itself is inviting yet charmingly stiff. I didn't want to leave but Robert Frost's poems were calling scrutiny in poetry class.
This made me think back to my peaceful days at the Newport Art Museum, where I worked in a fusion of paperwork, press-binders
old mansions, 19th century quilts and loose encyclopedia page moving tree exhibits--which happens to be my favorite exhibit I've ever witnessed, created by artist Wendy Wahl. It was a white wonderland of broken words and perfect trees.
I am not an artist of paint, canvas, oils or sculpture, though I do have a fondness for the visual arts. My point being of course that today's wanderings to the gallery were both needed and appreciated. Sometimes all you need to do to enjoy your day is do something reminiscent of your old self, your old interests--to like a part of the past that led you to the present day version of yourself.
Hope things are good
Always,
Chelsea

No comments:
Post a Comment