Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tis the season for resume updates and cover letters

So after a pep talk from one of my professors that the job market for journalists pretty much sucks I have decided to not let that deter me from the fact that I literally came out of the womb knowing I was supposed to be a journalist who had an affinity for comedy, science and music. I think my wide variety of interest might make me more marketable anyhow. My professor was talking about how in the news inudstry you have to make yourself marketable and be defined by how network execs want to have the audience view you. And to that I say no, never will I change who I am to fit the icky mold. So, I am still perusing a career in comedy, producing, script writing, traveling, and continuing music and science. Because if one thing his pep talk taught me it is that the driving force behind a career or even life needs to be hold on to what you love and never let go, because people come and go and so does money...especially in my wallet. It is better that happiness not come and go, in my humble opinion.
Here is a sample of one of my cover letter's for the "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" whom I have been watching avidly since the age of 10. I remember one of the first things I took notice of was "Triumph the Comic Dog." Which happens to be fucking hilarious and wildly inappropriate for a 10-year-old. That is one thing I am thankful for, my parents never put constraints on what I wanted to do, I did what I pleased and wanted and that was fine with them. If I wanted to eat dinner by myself in my room and watch Conan O'Brien's replay of the prior night's show--their attitude was so be it.

In related stories this blog keeps getting hacked by Christian websites...irony much?

No comments:

Post a Comment