I'm buying a Nikon D3000 and I'm pretty excited. Its going to be fun to learn how to take actual pictures, just not point and shoots. I have an appreciation and eye for different angles and ways of capturing life, and cannot wait to start.
Today was the perfect picture moment and I wish I had the camera. I got a pair of rainboots finally for Christmas, and though I didn't want to give into the whole 'I go to UMass Amherst thus wear rainboots' stigma, but I'll give them this, they are quite practical. This is also because I went for a run yesterday and left my sneakers on the back deck to wake up to beautiful snowfall soaking my shoes. They were already wet though, because at the end of my runs I go to the golf course adjacent to my house. Yesterday the snow had just melted but I felt like running free. It was fun and my feet were soaked.
Today I wanted to walk, take a calm slow approach to the day and after walking around the neighborhood I got to the golf course. It was that time of day where every look over to the sun looks as if it could be in a frame. The sun never becomes mundane. It takes new life everyday, reflecting off the snow, hiding behind winter clouds and peaking over birch and pine trees. I had one of those moments today where its so perfect, just meant to be only in the moment, and can't be explained or translated through film or photography. I was sprinting across the course along side the perimeter unoticed by anyone or anything, not even the gander of geese was disturbed, which felt quite nice, to be both invisible and important.
Its quite funny how some places such as a golf course can become so beautiful in your own eyes. My father has been golfing since his youth, and is one of the best golfers in town so I hear, but I have never bothered to try actually playing on the course. I know I can hit a mean ball because of practice at the range and my kick-ass field hockey drives, that are now useless, but the calmness and discipline that is golf never appealed to me. Field Hockey worked because I could swing a stick near or at people, I could run faster than anyone else, I could hit the ball pretty damn good. It gave me discipline in my younger life. The point is I never tried golf, but still like golf courses. Sort of like I don't like bananas that much, but I love banana bread.
Back to my day. So I was on the golf course having this moment where nothing mattered, not the freezing cold, not the music blaring in my headphones, not the fact that I was sprinting in galashes, just the mere fact that I was alone and happy. The green farthest away from my house is atop a hill that was seemingly larger when I used to walk up it after sledding down it years ago, but still atop is a hill. At the top of that hill are benches hidden under pinetrees that face the west. I sat there and prayed in the freezing windy December evening, facing the west. Its moments like these I'm thankful for. Moments where I can sprint around in rainboots, in the snow, by myself on a golf course--happy as can be. Once I get my camera you better bet I'm going on an excursion and taking pictures of all these lovely places I'm describing.
I'm feeling optimistic and would love if it stayed that way. I feel strong and centered. Hope you are all excited for the new year.
- ChelseaWhitton
- Hello my name is Chelsea, but you can call me Chels or Chach. If my name was Candy, I would be Candy Kane. Fresh and sweet. Anyhow, I graduated from college at UMass Amherst in May, knowing a little bit about myself, but knowing I wanted to learn a lot more about what I'm meant to be doing with my life. Since then I've figured out quite a bit. Living here in Jamaica Plain on my own, learning about life, what it takes to make it on my own, and balancing work, friends and family has all been a great experience. Maybe I am a grown-up? It is almost Spring. Its a reawakening. I am reawakening.
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment